Today is: Monday 16 September 2019 temp. today: oC
tomorrow: oC
Księga gości

This building is a reminder of quite big charitable activity at that time of Jan Klemens Branicki. The building would shelter and provide health care for “7 church duffers and 6 begging crones”

The monument was revealed on 11 November 1991 and is a testament to one of greatest Polish man. It is also a reminder of his many visits to Białystok – around 20 and not all official. Piłsudski was often visiting his friends in this city.

This builing is referring with its architecture to XIX century nobility mansions, it’s also related with Jan Klemens Branicki.

It is so called “House of Saint Martin” an old hospital and nursery founded by Branicki. The poorest were taken care by sisters of charity brought by Branicki. This building is another example of charitable actions of hetman.

Corner tenement house with mansard roof is comes from Branicki times. Its baroque finesse architecture differs greatly from other buildings.

Since old times there were two ways of establishing and constructions of cities. Those centres developed themselves using beneficial factors such as location, natural resources etc.

City hall building is the dominating the whole square, currently separated to two by Sieniewicza Street created after wars. The buildings comes from times of Jan Klemens Branicki urban planning.

First mentions about Jews presence in Białystok come from 1658-1661. Those are the notes in Tykocin pinkas, chronicles of the administration of Jewish community – so called kahal – in Tykocin.

The route for the street was the result of baroque urban planning by Jan Klemens Branicki. The beginning of the street was set by Choroska Gate around St. Nicolaus orthodox church and the end by St. Roch church on hill.

In the place of current building of orthodox church there was a small wooden orthodox chapel related to the beginning of Białystok. Present church was build 1643-1646 in classicist style, on the plan of Greek cross. The dome has Magistrates style and the altar part is always facing east