Guest palace Kilińskiego Street 6 (formerly Niemiecka Street) Baroque palace in front of us was built between year 1766 and 1771 probably according to Jan Zygmunt Deybel’s project.
This baroque palace was built in years 1766-1771 most likely accoriding to Jan Zygmunt Deybel design. It is a small palace with projections, illusory windows and covered with mansard roof. Lower part is inclined at the angle of 80 degrees, the upper on at 20 degrees. Window frames are grey with contracting stepped moldings that create the illusion of depth. Above the entrance there is a triangular field called tympanum with painting presenting weapon components – panoplies.
Construction was first began from Jan Klemens Branicki initiative. It was fulfilling its role of a guest apartment for hetman’s guests. It was part of greater residence layout “Wersalu Podlaskiego” (Podlaski Versailles) at the end of the road connecting the residence to the city. It was a border between the old and new town. Branicki was the first secular senator of the Republic of Poland and he expanded his residence until his last days. In 1771 while the building was still a shell, construction was stopped due to Branicki’s death. It resumed only in 1776. Finishing work was done by Izabella Branicka’s court architect – Jan Sękowski, he also lived in the building after it was finished. In 1796 the building was leased by Potocki family, Branicki’s inheritor to Prussian Camera, which was an administrative unit in New-eastern Prussia. Palace become the residence of Camera’s Landrat. After the treaty in Tylża was signed in 1807 the lands became part of Russian Empire. The Palace along with entire complex belonged to tsar Alexander I. In 1837 it was given to the Institute of Noble Maidens. From 1898 until the Second World War it was owned by private owners. A merchant Andrzej Literer and next Edward Herbst manufacturer from Łódź were it owners. In 1927 the residence was devided into six plots. The plot with palace was bought by Hirsz Wider councilman in interwar Białystok’s autonomy. He opened pastry shop there. A renovation was in order – until 1939 a restaurant Savoy, club, café and a pastry shop were in the building.
During occupation it was used by German authorities. In 1944 during war it was completely destroyed, with a minor exception of some walls. Palace was rebuilt in 1947-1952 under Stanisław Bukowski leadership. After the war a Revolution Movement Museum was placed in and since 1974 Architecture Department of Białystok’s Technical University. In 1990 Białystok commune became the owner. Last renovation was started in 1996 and finished in 2006.
Currently made painting and furnishing were inspired by garden rooms in Myśliwski Palace in Łazienki Królewskie painted by Antoni Herliczka, Braniski’s court painter. Another source of inspiration came from Bergel’s room in Schoenbrunn Palace in Vienna. Both rooms are making illusory connections with untamed, wild nature. Fancy paintings allowed for exotic landscape inside. Doors were carefully hidden among paintings.
Currently the ground floor is used for Registry Office needs, while the upstairs serves as President’s representative room. If we have a moment its worthy to come inside to garden rooms full of exotic fauna and flora paintings and admire them. Should you stay here for few minutes and perhaps you’ll discover some new details, hidden doors or exotic fruits and birds adding life to this painted landscape.