For almost 300 years the only church in town was a small church from late renaissance with some baroque décor from XVII century. It took over a dozen years of effort to build a new church for the catholic community. In 1898 tsar authorities finally allowed the small church to be expanded. In 1900-1905 a Neo-Gothic “annex” was build which was 10 times bigger than original church. It was Józef Pius Dziekoński’s design. The first service took place already in 1905 but the official consecration wasn’t until 1931. This huge temple is Białystok’s pride, as one of not so many it survived the Second World War.
Fara – Old Church
It is the oldest catholic church in city and together with its insides on of the most important antique buildings. The church was founded by Piotr Wiesiołowski, the owner of Białystok settlement in gothic-renaissance style, in place of old wooden church from 1617. Constructed as parish church with pretty portal and two-storey tower with some defensive elements. Above the main entrance there is a tympanum with relief finishing the portal from sandstone with Flemish renaissance elements. Relief portrays Assumption of Holy Mary. Interior is from late baroque from Branicki’s time. It was designed by Jakub Fontana, with paintings by Sylwester Mirys. What is curious Sylwester Mirys lived his whole adult life at Branicki’s residence but never learned polish language. It caused some funny misunderstandings, when he painted what he understood, not what was asked.